Skip to content
Quarter Sawn Red Oak
- Origin: Northeastern United States
- Hardness: heavy, hard, stiff
- Grade: select, quarter sawn cut
- Characteristics: wide and narrow ray flecking, color is light tan to pink, red
- Description: Quarter Sawn is made from select Northern Red Oak quarter sawn lumber. Flat sawn lumber is milled with the growth rings of the tree cut parallel to the board’s face. Quarter sawn lumber is milled with the growth rings of the tree cut approximately perpendicular to the board’s surface. The most obvious characteristic of quarter sawn oak lumber is the type of grain pattern produced.